Increasing Incomes, Improving Livelihoods
Building Rural Incomes Through Entrepreneurship is a non-profit organization that was set up in 2011 to help accelerate agriculture transformation in Tanzania through agricultural development initiatives that are designed to facilitate market access, enhance agribusiness competitiveness, increase productivity and improve access to inputs and finance for value chain actors.
Our approach is in understanding the market system and understanding how to bring about a large-scale systemic change by addressing the underlying causes of the market failure with a commitment to ensuring that the value chains operate sustainably. This approach is an inclusive pro- poor approach which address challenges from the systemic point of view. We use the Making Markets Work for the Poor Approach (M4P) that is effective in reaching more people, in being sustainable and inclusive.
We use the following principles in our approach
- We generate evidence through the analysis of the value chain to identify first the constraints then the system constraints that are making the market system for the value chain not to work. We ensure that when we are making these assessments, we look at the different context from the men, women young men and young women’s views so that we can design projects that help them increase their incomes and improve their livelihoods.
- We encourage innovation in the development of interventions that enable us to unlock the problem and to reach more people.
- The interventions we design are designed to benefit many people
- We then test those interventions and assess if they have the potential to unlock the market and if so we recommend a roll out to scale
- We will then develop monitoring and knowledge management systems
BRiTEN is committed to retaining the trust and confidence of the farmers, value chain actors, donors, and funders by ensuring the following:-
- Integrity: We maintain credibility by making certain our actions always match our words.
- Accountability: We accept personal responsibility to efficiently use organization resources, improve our systems, and help others improve their effectiveness.
- Service: We treat our clients with dignity, respect, and courtesy; listen objectively to the needs of the client; and respond in a timely, efficient and responsible manner. We believe in service above self.
- Teamwork: We multiply the creativity, talents, and contributions of each individual and business by focusing on team goals. Each of us succeeds individually when we achieve success as a team.
- Employees: We recognize that the quality, motivation and performance of our employees are the key factors in achieving our successes
PRIMARY AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Market Facilitation – BRiTEN provides coordination of market actors at field level to create efficiencies in market systems as well as testing of different commercial models that are scalable and are able to have systemic impact on the value chains
- BRiTEN facilitates the development of sustainable business consortias through inclusion of smallholder farmers into value chains. BRiTEN has specifically supported women groups in building their capacity and creating sustainable linkages to access inputs and markets.
- Facilitate strategic multi-stakeholder platforms & trainings to increase market actors influence on policy. BRiTEN facilitated the formation of the public private partnership forum in Njombe and Iringa regions who meet quarterly and also hold an annual regional exhibition. This has helped to facilitate private sector actors to influence policy. BRiTEN has supported the public private policy dialogues that have culminated in the development of the post harvest strategy.
- Business Support and Business Development Service – BRiTEN assists the MSME’s and Farmer organizations to complete their financial analysis, business plans, and feasibility studies and make decisions on investments. We currently support 150 MSMEs who we have supported to start businesses in value chain activities We currently support 250 Farmer Cooperatives along the Southern Highlands and in 2019 alone supported the registration of 21 new AMCOs.
- Research/Study Projects – BRiTEN collaborates with partners to carry out market research, socio-economic studies, investment analysis and recommendations for investment to NGOs, non-state actors, private sector, academia and think tanks that